I recently attended a water aerobics class at my local gym, and unbeknownst to me, this class is not just for seniors! When I signed up for the class, I wasn’t sure what to expect. Will this be difficult? Am I wasting my time? How will a class of 30 near-centenarians react to someone 40 years their junior joining them? Will I get a good workout?
You may be surprised at what I learned:
- Water aerobics is a really good workout! You can tailor it to your fitness level — an easy workout, a challenging workout or just hop in the pool to socialize.
- Water aerobics is perfect for anyone who has mobility or balance issues.
- You can strengthen and tone your muscles easily and in a safe environment.
- The attendees — both male and female — were adorable, welcoming and serious about their fitness.
- Using water weights, a pool noodle and other water aerobic apparatus was challenging and part of the fun!
- Having a sparkling bathing cap and a bedazzled bathing suit is a must! Gotta look good and make that fashion statement!
Overall, water aerobics is a great workout for every fitness level. If you’re just getting started with an exercise regime or want to change it up, a water aerobics class is worth checking out! You may be able to find a class at your local community center, fitness club or Y. I guarantee you’ll have fun and get a great workout! And as always, before starting any new exercise regime, please contact your doctor.
Deanna @ Drive
Deanna, a Drive team member in Digital Marketing, has completed over 8 triathlons and is currently training for her 9th and 10th! Deanna has also cared for her dad and mom through many disease related challenges; her experience as a Caregiver has made her a stronger person and a Caregiver advocate.